This blog aims to help you cope with living with an alcohol abuser. I know what you are going through because I have lived through this situation myself. So I have set up the "HELP PAGES" on the right to help you cope with an alcohol affected life. Please start with the first page: "Living with an Alcohol Abuser".

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

HOW DO I STOP GETTING ANGRY?

When my partner drank, despite my efforts to stop her, I used to get angry. It's a common emotion to feel when you are faced with uncontrolled drinking that is wrecking your lives.

I had to attend Al-Anon meetings to learn that my anger was understandable, but useless and negative. (see the HELP PAGES opposite to find out about what Al-Anon is and how it can help).

I learned that I was powerless over alcohol and could do NOTHING to stop my wife drinking.  NOTHING.

When I felt angry and frustrated I took my anger out on something else, NOT MY WIFE.

I used to walk and swear and curse out loud. I have punched pillows to work off anger. You can run, swim, jump, exercise, do something PHYSICAL to work the anger off. Chopping wood would be excellent!

Not choke it down - too much of that 'internalising' your anger will cause YOU harm. No, WORK IT OFF somehow.

Read previous blogs about ALCOHOLISM as a DISEASE, and COMPASSION, FORGIVENESS.

Realise that your drinking is suffering from a mental disease that has gripped their mind. THEY are the only ones that can find a way out of their Hell - by stopping the drinking. To do that they will probably need the help of AA - Alcoholics Anonymous.  Support them if they want to go to an AA meeting.

My best advice for YOU is to try to get to an Al-Anon meeting yourself - this is where I found help and it eventually saved our marriage from breaking up.

Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment