This blog aims to help you cope with living with an alcohol abuser. I know what you are going through because I have lived through this situation myself. So I have set up the "HELP PAGES" on the right to help you cope with an alcohol affected life. Please start with the first page: "Living with an Alcohol Abuser".

Sunday, January 9, 2011

GROPING MY WAY TO HELP

If you are living with someone who is drunk most of the time, and you are looking for help, this blog is for YOU!  Because  I have been there too!  And I found a way to get help, as you can.

How did my story start?  Well when my partner was an active alcohol abuser I finally realised that we had a REAL problem only after my friends started to say things like: "Did you know your partner really has a drinking problem?" 
Up to that time I was convinced that she was suffering from depression and the drinking was just to make her feel better.  I had tried to analyse, reason, argue with logic, sympathise and generally look after her while she was drunk.

After our friends' remarks to me, I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I realised: "Oh my God, she is in trouble with alcohol - she really cannot stop drinking!  My God, what do I do????"
  • I went to my doctor: he told me to get out of the relationship!  Well I was not ready for that!  No help there!
  • I went to the local Library and looked at the "Self-Help" section.  I found a book entitled "So you love an Alcoholic" and after a quick look, decided to buy it.  But upon reading it, I found it very difficult to understand. That did not work either.
 I was on my own, or so I thought. So I did what most of us do in this situation -
  • I began to hide the booze (but she found it!)
  • I poured booze (good wines too!) down the sink (but she bought cheap wine instead!)
  • I began to argue with her and felt angry and demanded that she stop drinking! (but she kept on, in fact got worse!)
What happened next?  She began to drink in secret - and continued.  Meanwhile I got madder and madder, and more and more worried that our family or neighbours would find out our dreadful secret - we had  a drunk in the house.

Maybe you are somewhere in this position too - if you are, I know what you are going through.

I want to help - so have set up the "Help Pages" to the right - those pages tell about how I finally got help.
Have a look at the first page "Living with an alcohol abuser" and see if anything rings true for you.

Working SLOWLY through the pages will hopefully show you what you can do to make life better for all of you.

And I will keep posting to this blog and cover various aspects of living with an alcoholic.

So please let me know if you find this information useful - I am writing this for YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment